Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Scheduling To Reduce Ineffectiveness

When Ineffective Habits Choke You

(Here's One Way to Fight Back)


Scheduling to Reduce Ineffectivness
When Ineffective Habits Start to Choke You
(Here's One Way to Fight Back)

This week I got exasperated to the point of change.  I need a real schedule.  Flexibility is nice and all, but I'm not making progress evenly.  I'm focused on the project(s) I want to do, and neglecting anything that doesn't have urgency attached.  

Something has to change. When you look at my desk, you'll understand.

As I muddle my way toward an effective business routine, I'm struck by the details that have nothing to do with writing.

* Marketing
* Email (not related to paying work)
* Billing/Paying Bills
* Filing 
* Learning to Utilize Programs/Apps

Now how many of these do you think I am likely to neglect in favor of writing?  Yep, you're right!  Most of them.

This is what my my brain looks like on clutter:


Not pretty.  The messier it gets, the less effective I become.  Focusing on writing feels good in the moment, until I run into writer's block.  Then it feels like the block blows up into a big thing.

I would love to be able to just sit and write.  Or research and write.  

Reality says if I don't allocate time for marketing, email,  bills/billing, or maintaining an orderly desk space, I won't have balance in my work.

I've been meaning to try blocking out time for a well-rounded approach to my week.  This morning, I begrudgingly gave up writing time and finally did it.

From the time I get up to the time I go to bed, I have an idea of what I’m doing.  If it’s a time of day where I expect to be “on call” for my husband (prone to interruptions), I put some flex into the schedule. 

Weekends run best for both of us when I treat them as flex time as much as possible.  Otherwise, I end up frustrated and stressed.



I expect to find things to add in so they don't remain neglected.  However, this gives me a framework to get closer to success.

I already found a mistake in it, but I’ll wait until there are more changes to be made.  (Take THAT perfectionism!)

Each week, I’ll be able to take each day, and within the framework, decide what to do.  In some cases, that includes learning what to do.

This schedule is hard to read.  Once it's broken down by day, it's easier to use.

I’m learning that finding a process to take everything into account is a big deal.  I think things will flow better.

Now to deal with that messy desk and clear my brain! 

Next time, we'll talk about scheduling projects and a trick I heard this week about easily avoiding procrastination.  I’ll try it and let you know how it worked. 

How do you approach your day?  Do you consider yourself flexible?  Has that worked well for you or do many things seem to never get done?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment