Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Networking: Beneficial or Waste of Time?



What I Came to Appreciate About Networking

Last October, my husband and son drove me to the airport.  On the way there, I told my husband I wanted to go back home.  Why?  

I was petrified.

I was supposed to fly to Florida for a conference, where I didn’t know anyone.  I mean, there were maybe a handful of people I’d spoken with in a mastermind group online, but I wasn’t sure how well things would go once we met in person.  

What would I say past initial pleasantries?  Could this introvert talk and not bore someone to death? 
I could see the headline now, “Virginia Woman Bores 17 People to Death at Florida Conference.  Details at 11!” 

What’s the big deal?

There was a time when I thought networking meant using people.  It sounded like an awful thing to do, even if it was “mutually beneficial.”  It felt like something fake to avoid like the plague.  I’d much rather be genuine, thank you very much!

One day I was reading about networking and something shifted:
Networking is as simple as knowing where to go when you need something.

Did your computer lock up?  If you don’t have a computer guru on your speed dial, you’ll probably ask your friends whom they use.  Were you complaining about an organizational problem to a friend and got a recommendation for a product that simplified things? That’s all networking is. 

Not so scary after all!

Know Your Networking Style

Maybe it’s a personality thing.  Highly social people may be more inclined toward socializing.  Who would have guessed?  People who are highly motivated with a long list of tasks may see it as a waste of time.  Laid back people who aren’t into the people thing just find people stuff quite stressful.

Personality alone doesn’t determine if networking is worthwhile.  It’s the way to meet connected people.

For example, if you were a real estate investor, there are several types of people you are interested in meeting at a real estate investing networking event.  Contractors, realtors, private moneylenders, and other investors are all useful contacts.  

Different Ways to Network

Different styles of networking appeal by personality and need.

If you are a laid-back introvert, a cocktail mixer probably ranks right up there with nails on a chalkboard.  On the other hand, if you are a driven, task-oriented person, it might be perfect.  Meet the kind of people you were looking to meet - once you meet your objective, leave.  If you’re an introvert, it may be easier to go to a meeting where a presentation takes up most of the event.  If you talk to the person next to you and discover someone beneficial to know, bonus points!

Meet-Up has groups for all sorts of interests, business or otherwise.  Local chapters of the Chamber of Commerce or Ruritan Club can be valuable as well.

Conferences and special events are a great way to meet contacts in your field.  As an introvert, I enjoy the learning.  I also enjoy being in a room or stadium full of people who get my interest and know my struggles.

Social media is a great route for highly busy or highly introverted people.  It may take longer to make connections.  However, if you make the deliberate effort regularly, and you can still build a good network.

Indirect networking takes longer, but can build a satisfying set of connections as well.  Community service groups, church groups certainly aren’t about building your business.  Obviously, as a person of integrity, you wouldn’t get involved if you weren’t into their central mission.   Yet sometimes along the way, you learn a member knows someone that needs you … or just the person you need.

Dealing with Nerves

  •         Hi, I’m (insert name) with (insert company name.)  What’s your name?
  •         What do you do?
  •         What’s your specialty? (If appropriate to learn more.) 
  •         What sort of project are you working on right now?
  •          May I have your card and send you some information (if they seem interested in what you do.  Follow up as immediately as possible.)

Remembering that this person may also be just as uncomfortable as you are might help as well.  They also came to meet people and make connections.   Both of you want the same thing:  find out if this is a good connection to develop.

Any time you’re around people you may run into people that don't click with you.  That’s ok.  You aren’t signing up to be best friends.  You aren’t obligated to your new contact.  You are just checking out some possibilities. Listen to your gut and follow through accordingly.  

Swallowing My Fear

My husband was encouraging as I poured out my fears.  My resolve hardened, and I got out at the airport, determined to wring every drop of joy out of the event.  By the next morning, I realized that everyone else was in the same boat.  

It felt like these were just friends I hadn’t met yet because we had a commonality - our love of words.  I decided exchanging names and home states was easy, and asking if it was their first time at the event made good stock questions.  Having those questions made me more comfortable and it was easy to make the first step with dozens of people over the rest of the event. 

Not bad for an introvert!

Worthwhile Networking

Networking lets you meet people in your field, provides potential clients for you to serve … or vendors to serve you.  You may also run into someone who becomes a mentor.  And a good mentor is priceless.

It’s good to challenge that comfort zone a little.  However you go about it, you are providing potential value to the person you meet.  If they are in need of your service, or know someone in need, and you connect well with this person, you will be on the short list of people to call.

The old cliché, “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know,” still applies.  Your next great client may be at a networking event, looking for you.  Will you be there?

Have you beat the networking blues?  Please comment below with your best networking tip.

Weekly Challenge

Last week, my weekly challenge was to get the ball rolling for my new business entity so I can get a domain, email address, logo, business card, etc.  As of 15 minutes ago, I received my EIN so I can start transacting business under the new name.

This next week will be about finishing as much of my homework as possible for the Joshua Boswell workshop in a week and a half.  I’ll also be getting a new logo and purchase a domain.  I’ll probably only peek at the website building part because I think that’s more time than I have until after the workshop.  

What is your goal to move your business forward this week?


No comments:

Post a Comment