Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Making a Freelance Schedule Work For YOU



Walking Away from Burnout

Last week, I shared with you how I got to the point where making the simplest of decisions was a lot of work.  I was terribly distracted and needed perfect conditions to do easy tasks. 

I had to stop, REST, then back up and take a look at how I got there.

Several months ago, I created this awesome detailed schedule.  I was going to be organized and knock this thing out of the park!

I got caught up in new things not on the schedule.  Other things dropped off.  I didn’t adjust my schedule.  I just kept plugging along.  Adding in this and that along the way. 

To be fair, birthing a freelance business involves many details.  So I justified everything I wanted to add in.  After all, I need this running already!

Before I knew it, I was overloaded trying to hold up to some ideal schedule that wasn’t even working for me.  I disregarded the start/stop times because I usually found myself not finished with tasks.

That, my friend, is the perfect recipe for burnout.  Too many irons in the fire and ignoring time-frames that safeguard peace and sanity – and relationships.

I’m realizing that a schedule isn’t just about time management.  It’s about realism staring you in the face.  It’s understanding that just because you can fit something in doesn’t mean that you should.  You may be stealing quality from something else.  You may be stressing yourself out and stealing your happy self from your loved ones.  Like I was.

This week I wanted to share a post Sheila Wray Gregoire wrote in 2013 that reminded me the value of re-evaluating the schedule.  Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment