Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Stress of Technological Ignorance



When the Computer Steals Your Day

If you are tech savvy, this isn’t the post for you … unless you would enjoy laughing at my mishaps.  In which case … enjoy.  Ha!  Maybe you can even tell me what happened!

Yesterday, I had things I needed to get done.  Playing with my computer wasn’t on the list.  Has this ever happened to you?  Your day stolen by a wayward computer?  

It's like my computer has a cold: 

·         Slowly doing tasks
·         Sometimes won’t stream
·         Sometimes didn't do things

Yesterday, it had a coughing fit.  It restarted itself every 10 minutes.  There was little time to do anything else.  My day was stolen because I chose to be ignorant.  But I'm getting ahead of myself. 

If you've been with me for a while, you know this about me.  I know how to do things that get the job done and haven’t cared much about the rest.  I’ve tolerated it’s poor behavior for quite a while.

 “It’s too complicated to figure out right now,” I would tell myself.  If I didn’t need it, it wasn’t going to get my attention.  Well, it got my FULL attention yesterday.  I couldn’t do anything with it until I fixed it.

I had lots of choices:
·         Get overwhelmed and stressed out.  (Easy default position.) 
·         Take the credit card to the store and get the laptop I looked at a few months ago.
·         Try to figure this thing out.  (“Yeah right!” and “Save money” vied for the upper hand.)

I tried to figure it out, but felt lost.  I started to get overwhelmed and stressed, but took a step back. It was easy to see this wasn’t going to matter a year from now, much less on my deathbed.   

I relaxed and let it go.  I didn’t need to generate unnecessary stress with the wrong mindset. This helped tremendously.  Otherwise I might have rendered myself  nearly incapable in frustration and I still needed my wits about me for the meeting yesterday evening.

Counting it as lost, I developed a back-up plan.  Any effort to salvage this machine would be a bonus. I'd be able to limp along a few more weeks, if successful.  

I tried to use my phone to search for answers, but I was shooting in the dark.  Then I got the bright idea to try a scan for malware.  That produced results and I quarantined them.  The problem continued more frequently.  Now I got barely 3-5 minutes.  I wasn't amused by it's apparent love affair with boots.

The thing I was trying to research, ntkrpamp, was adequately answered.  My eyes glazed over at the very long page of links to read about it.  Which one to pick?  How to understand this semi-foreign language? 

And then it rebooted – yet again.  Saved by the reboot.  Never managed to find my way back there. 
My browser did an update, and after a couple more restart cycles, it magically stopped.

The bottom line?  I still don’t know what the problem was or why it’s not still mal-functioning.  However, I’m not going to poke a lion to see why it’s not biting!

Here’s what I got out of yesterday:

Back-up planning is crucial. 
·         Having a second computer available is a wise idea.  Tai Lopez talks about building forgiveness into the system.  That means having another option when the first one breaks down.

·         Having data backed up is smart too.  Last week, I missed on an opportunity to have some writing critiqued.  I even missed on my morning stuff because I was late, just so I wouldn’t be late on the submission deadline.  I typed the email address incorrectly (by one letter.)  I was away when I found out.  If I’d had a cloud account and backed up to it, I could have resubmitted.

A good maintenance routine may save some time.
·         I will develop a list of things to make sure happen weekly.  I don’t like to set things to happen automatically because I might be working strange hours and can be disruptive.  I need to deal with it myself so junk files don’t build up and slow my computer.
·         Defragmenting once a month might not be a bad idea either.

Plan is in place for my new computer.
·         If it’s an emergency, I’ll get a Lenovo.  I can run right out and get it. 
·         If it’s not an emergency, I’ll get an Apple MacBook.  I don’t know that I’ll make my second computer an Apple, just because of the higher expense.  I still need to decide how I’ll go about the back-up computer.  But using a cloud-based back up will give some assurance that I can jump right back into things.

Last week, I promised I’d do something to put myself out there more.  So I shared one of these posts on Facebook.  It increased the views 350%. Since this is new, that’s not hard.    But I did it.

My challenge this week will be to do something toward marketing myself AND develop my maintenance plan.  I’ll need to research what is needed for my machine and for my phone.  I’m sure maintenance is good for both.

What is your maintenance plan?  Did you buy software and have everything automated?  Please share.   And if you have a clue what might have happened, please do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment