Tuesday, March 14, 2017

When You Gotta Just Go For Progress



When It Just Feels Wrong

Starting a business involves a variety of emotions. The excitement of a bold idea gives way to uncertainty.  What if they don’t like my work?  Maybe I’m not ready yet.  Perhaps I should take another class.

Interestingly, I was warned about the “take another class” line before.  Yet here I am, sitting with uncertainty.  Wondering if I should take another class (a great excuse to delay, if I may say so!)  Wondering if I’m crazy to think I could make this work.

So today I’m delivering myself a kick in the pants.  My mentor will approve.  You get a front row seat.  You ready?

Why shouldn’t I succeed?

If God has given me an ability to write, why shouldn’t I use it to earn a living?

Am I afraid to fail?  Everyone says I will.  No, not THAT everyone!  The ones who have succeeded.  The ones who experienced failures along the way to success.  Maybe I need to get over that fear.  God doesn’t call me to fear anyway.

Am I afraid to succeed?  Will I measure up with the lifestyle of people who are successful?  Do I want to live a comparison game?  Do I have to compare to define myself as successful?  I don’t think so.  I don’t think God calls me to the comparison thing either.  It doesn’t matter what others think, as long as my work is good.

So what’s up with this hesitation?

I find it interesting that it’s easier to work pro-bono than ask for pay in exchange for my work.  Maybe I’m afraid people won’t find me worth my rate.  I’ll never know my true value in the marketplace without going for it.  Without the feedback, it’s much harder to sort my need for improvement.

What happens if I stop holding back?

·        Struggle with bills eases
·        Someone’s product might take off, with the right words to give it wings
·        I establish a good marketing funnel for my work, reducing stress
·        I help someone else get started in writing
·        I’m better positioned to help someone struggling financially
·        I pick some fun projects to work on

Eventually, it means … “So many choices – so little time!”
 
Funny.  As I sit here thinking about opening up to possibilities, the sun came out from behind the clouds. 

It’s daunting, but possible.

Every so often, it seems I need to really look at what’s behind my thoughts.  When I challenge the mindset, things get clear.  With clarity, I can move forward again.

This week is pretty full, but this commitment, I make to you:  I will make one step toward making that happen by Friday evening.  Not sure what that step will be.  Bookmark this and check back next Tuesday.

So is this you?  Has this ever been you?  Uncertain, having a hard time moving forward?  Reaching for that dream you’ve been working on so intently?  How did you overcome?  Please share below and let’s learn from each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment