Tuesday, June 20, 2017

To Website or Not to Website



8 Reasons Why You Need a Website

So you are thinking about building a website.  It’s a daunting prospect with many choices and technological challenges.  It can be rather expensive.  It’s enough to scare a person away.

“Can’t I Just Use Social Media?”

There ARE some business models using social media.  LuLaRoe is an example of a Facebook sales model, using online “events” to sell.  Many of us do something needing more than a Facebook page.

Some writers only use LinkedIn, and do decently.  Others struggle to make it work as the only web presence for their business.   

 What About Fiverr or Similar?

Whatever you do, don’t look to places like Fiverr to do your marketing for you.  The extremely low pay isn’t worth it.  You’ll never receive the respect or pay you deserve doing those kinds of jobs.

What you really need is your own “storefront.”  It gives your ideal prospect all of the reasons they need to select you for the work they need done.

My Eight Reasons Why You Need a Website


  1. It says “professional.”  Someone who has invested the time and/or money into building a website is serious.  Your business is not a temporary operation.
  2. It gives you a “professional” email.  I know I already said professional, but I’ve heard so many people say this, including the guy that sold me my computer.  They don’t take a “business” seriously, considering it a hobby at best, if they can’t be bothered to get a professional email.
  3. It gives you a space to reach professionals who lack patience for LinkedIn.  Some people agree that social media is great for connections, yet mostly avoid it as a time-waster.
  4. It gives your prospects your information, allowing them to qualify themselves for your services based on what they learn.  This saves both of you time.
  5. It gives you a platform to display samples of your work.
  6. It gives you a place to create an online schedule so they can set up appointments without the wrangling back and forth by email over when they are available.
  7. It gives your prospects a fast and easy payment solution, particularly if you expect partial pre-payment to get started.
  8. It’s available 24/7.  Did you take a holiday?  Maybe your prospect is trying to get ahead of the ball (or play catch-up) and is looking for someone like you.  You don’t have to miss the opportunity because your website is open for business any time of day or night.


There are more reasons, but you get the idea.        

Get Taken Seriously

Give your prospect ample reasons to take you seriously.  Show them why you are the best solution for their problem with a simple website. 

Next week, I’ll talk about what sort of things you need on your website to show off your freelance business.

Weekly Challenge

I spent the past week working with a non-work related project, doing work around the edges as I could.  I see God’s hand in it and the project is out of my hands. 

I’m making progress through the 80/20 Sales and Marketing Book as well as the Information Marketing Book.  Both are very interesting.

This week, I’ll be working through American Writers & Artists Inc’s Build Your Freelance Website in 4 Days.  (I don't have any affiliate marketing agreements right now.  I'm just sharing this because I find it incredibly helpful - more on that next week!) I’m working on the writing portions this week and I’ll play with the techy stuff next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment